Wednesday, April 8, 2009

4 Thumbs Up, 4 Thumbs Down: Chick Flick Edition




4 Thumbs Up to What Women Want: Has Mel Gibson ever made a bad movie? How he pulled off a movie where he plays a male chauvinist who is able to hear woman's thoughts after electrocuting himself in a bathtub full of feminine products is unreal. And he gave that performance after mutilating redcoats with a hatchet in The Patriot. Anyways, this movie is on TNT once every month and I always seem to catch it. For as much as I hate Ted Turner we seem to have the same movie tastes.

4 Thumbs Down to Bounce: I was dragged to this movie in the hopes that a friend would get some action. He didn't get any because his girlfriend was super prude and I was instead treated to an abortion of my eyes. What makes this movies failing all that more impressive is that it stars Gweneth "I'm richer than you" Paltrow and Ben Affleck.

4 Thumbs Up to Miss Congeniality: Not only is Sandra Bullock a good actress but she is also a stone cold fox. William Shatner and Candice Bergen are great in their roles and Michael Cain is hilarious as the gay pageant expert trying to redeem his career. This is another movie that pops up on TBS all the time and I always seem to catch it.

4 Thumbs Down to The Notebook: Poor boy meets rich girl, they have fling, but her status won't allow her to date them, he goes away, he comes back and wins her. Normally I wouldn't give a movie like this attention however the final scene is simply ridiculous and the fact teasing us with Rachel McAdams semi naked and not actually showing anything is a misdemeanor at the very least.

4 Thumbs Up to Definitely, Maybe: This movie was surprisingly good and also makes for a great date movie. I'm not going to give away the ending but it isn't sappy. Ryan Reynolds is funny and the harem of women he slays in the movie are all attractive.

4 Thumbs Down to any Kate Hudson/Matthew McConaughey movie: How does McConaughey go from giving a tour de force performance in A Time To Kill to making How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days and Fool's Gold? The same goes for Hudson who killed in Almost Famous and then pops out some of the worst chick flicks ever made.

4 Thumbs Up to When Harry Met Sally: Besides Die Hard, this is the ultimate date movie. It's witty, has a good plot, and doesn't have the typical dull 20 minutes of sappy girl bonding that ruins most chick flicks. Billy Crystal is funny and Meg Ryan is at the peak of her hotness. All and all a must watch.

7 comments:

M said...

haha - "abortion of my eyes"...nice. The world can always use more abortion jokes and this one was clever and fresh. :)

Miss Congeniality sucked balls however. And I disagree on Sandra Bullock. While she is obviously better looking than 95% of people, she tends to play more tomboy-ish roles and that deters from her images as a "stone cold fox".

Unknown said...

Tom- you met me when we went to see Bounce. I'm glad you think so fondly upon that day. Also way to put down Ashley AND I in the same movie description.

Unknown said...

Tom- you met me when we went to see Bounce. I'm glad you think so fondly upon that day. Also way to put down Ashley AND I in the same movie description.

Tom said...

M - 95%? You are insane.

Emily - I didn't meet you at Bounce, you are incorrect. Also please don't double post, its a real headache when I meet with our site sponsors.

Unknown said...

1. It was Bounce and thank you for remembering. (we met on November 17. Bounce was released on November 15)

2. It seems like it's your site's issue if double posting is occurring.

O'B said...

way to go tom... way to go.

YES.WE.CAN said...

tom- this is one of your brighter moments, debating where you met your gf on your blog... even making the mistake of calling the first movie you saw together a terrible movie.... and to that my friends we raise a glass of miller lite. cheers