Thursday, May 7, 2009

The 10 Best Songs of the Oughts (2000s)


First of all this is my list. The songs on here reflect both my taste and a songs impact on the general population. Not to be overlooked was how much certain songs would perturb Fig and O'Brien.

Honorable mention -
Underdog by Spoon
Fans by Kings of Leon
Float On by Modest Mouse
First Breath After Coma by Explosions in the Sky
Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand
Knights of Cydonia by Muse

#10 - A-Punk by Vampire Weekend

Besides being my favorite song to wake up to, write to, and drive to, A-Punk is structurally perfect which is impressive considering it's a little over 2 minutes long.

#9 - Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz

Feel Good Inc. checks in at #9 because of its ability to be played at almost any situation. It also has what I like to call the triple crown of music: great lyrics, great vocals, and it allows you to yell AHAHAHAHA!

#8 - Viva La Vida by Coldplay

Coldplay Viva la Vida ( Official Music Video )
by smallvillejojo974
Say what you want about Coldplay, yes I know that I'm gay for liking this song, but Viva La Vida is truly a fantastic song. It's impossible not to tap your foot to the opening and the line "I know St. Peter won't call my name" is both haunting and awesome, I guess which one depends on the mood you are in.

#7 - Doesn't Remind Me by Audioslave

What I like best about this song is listening to what lines other people memorize. For me, I always remember "I like hammering nails and speaking in tongues." What doesn't remind you?

#6 - All These Things That I Have Done by The Killers
All These Things That I've Done

Take a second and think about how many times you have sung out, "I got soul but I'm not a soldier." I'm betting it was over 20 times.

#5 - Jesus Etc. by Wilco

Released after 9/11, Jesus Etc. makes numerous references to the tragedy without coming off as insincere and douchy, ala Bruce Springsteen. While the song mentions a great national tragedy it isn't a depressing song and is instead uplifting.

#4 - Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes

Probably the best guitar riff of the decade, Seven Nation Army is also the most covered song from this decade. When college marching bands start incorporating your song into games you know you have a hit.

#3 - Hey Ya by OutKast

Hey Ya is probably the most commercially successful song on this list. Unfortunately its commercial success overshadowed some great lyrics. Thankfully Obadiah Parker's awesome acoustic cover saves the day.


#2 - Homecoming by Kanye West (featuring Chris Martin)

HOMECOMING from kwest on Vimeo.


Kanye is the second artist on this list that hails from Chicago (Wilco) and as mentioned in a previous blog post, this song is perfect for any occasion. Homecoming also makes numerous references to Chicago and I'm not gonna lie, I love it. Chris Martin lends his piano playing skills while also singing the chorus. Kanye West + Chris Martin = Crazy Delicious

#1 - Mr. Brightside by the Killers

Watch more Hot Fuss videos on AOL Video


There really wasn't much debate in my mind seeing as how the Killers are my favorite band of the AUTS and this is truly their best/most defining/commercially successful song. The lyrics are deep and cutting but not so depressing that it can't be played at bars or parties. Mr. Brightside encompass everything I want in a song and does so with flying colors.

8 comments:

O'B said...

what happened to 2000-2002?

blink-182 "all the small things"
lifehouse "hanging by a moment"
fity "in da club"

just a few to think about

O'B said...

im flattered at the consideration as well

Unknown said...

Let it be known that I predicted 20 percent killers and 20 percent coldplay. Honestly surprised tom didn't work a w'wolves in london cover into this list

Tom said...

O'B - Hanging by a moment and in da club are guilty pleasure songs of mine. All the small things is very solid but it gets annoying after a few listens.

Fig - I thought about throwing in Adam Sandler's cover but decided against it. But I must say, it is a great cover.

Also I welcome anyone else's top 10 list.

O'B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
O'B said...

how bout some Satch "If I Could Fly"

well, i guess im disappointed that nothing made it in from those years...

Tom said...

Haney - I wouldn't expect you to like Wilco. The fact that you can understand what they are singing and as far as I know they don't sing about feces.

Pete said...

Tommy, what you should have done is make two top 10 lists, one of your personal faves, and the "pop" songs. You can't tell me that you honestly believe that "viva la vida" is one of the greatest songs of this decade. overall, though i think you have a respectable list, esp. the top 5.

I won't give you my top 10 bc I could never decide on 10, but off the top of my head I'd throw in "I Bet that you look good on the dance floor" by Arctic Monkeys and "Someone Great" by LCD Soundsystem in the "personal faves" category, and "Island in the Sun" by Weezer and "Paper Planes" by MIA in the "pop" category.